Utomi, Ivey help Akron hold off Eastern Michigan 51-49
- Ewing out of hospital after COVID stay
- Hall of Fame coach Sutton dies at 84
- Georgetown coach Ewing has COVID-19
- NCAA OKs athletic activities for June 1
- Marquette's Bailey to pursue pro career
Eastern Michigan (8-9, 2-2 Mid-American Conference) shot 2 of 9 from the floor and had a turnover over the last five minutes while the Zips (10-7, 2-2) missed three field goals and a free throw, and turned the ball over four times.
Utomi made a 3-pointer to put the Zips up for good, 46-45, with 6:30 to play. Ivey dunked to stretch the lead to 48-45, then Malik Ellison's layup pulled Eastern Michigan to 48-47 with 4:31 remaining.
Paul Jackson's layup for the Eagles capped the scoring with 42 seconds to go. On the next possession, James Thompson IV blocked a shot and grabbed a defensive rebound for Eastern Michigan, but Ty Groce missed a potential-tying layup with five seconds left.
Updated January 15, 2019