Haws' late 3 helps BYU hold off Santa Clara 80-74
- Calhoun denies sex discrimination claims
- Hall picked to win Big East over 'Nova
- Duke picked to win ACC; Nwora voted POY
- Boeheim prepares for 44th season
- New era begins at UCLA under Mick Cronin
Haws' catch-and-shoot 3 from the right wing made it 77-71 with 1:33 left in the game. The Cougars (11-8, 3-1 West Coast Conference) made 3 of 4 free throws to secure the win.
BYU never trailed and had its largest lead of the second half at 51-39. The Broncos (10-8, 2-2) steadily edged closer and got the deficit down to three before Haws' dagger 3-pointer.
Haws handed out a career-high-tying eight assists and Luke Worthington added a season-high 13 points for the Cougars. Childs tied a career best with three 3-pointers.
Trey Wertz had 20 points to lead Santa Clara. Keshawn Justice scored all of his career-high 17 points in the second half, Josip Vrankic had 16 points and 10 rebounds, and Tahj Eaddy added 10.
Updated January 12, 2019