American U holds of Navy 71-63 behind Nelson
- Florida guard out of draft, transfers
- Power 5 leagues want player compensation
- Big 12 revenue distribution down $1.1M
- Texas Tech adds ex-Hoyas star McClung
- Kentucky, Irish announce 3-year series
WASHINGTON (AP) Sa'eed Nelson scored 25 points and made 11 of 12 free throws and American University held off Navy 71-63 on Wednesday night.
Navy closed to 43-41 on a 13-2 run capped by George Kiernan's layup and his jumper made it at 47-all with 8:43 to play. Gasperini scored six straight and American led 62-56 on Motuzis' dunk with a minute left and Nelson made 6 of 6 from the stripe in the final 43 seconds.
American pulled away on an 11-2 run and led 32-26 at halftime on Gasperini's layup.
Kiernan scored 17 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for Navy (5-9, 2-1). Evan Wieck added 16, Cam Davis 13 and Hasan Abdullah had 10 points with five assists.
Updated January 9, 2019