Phiri, Powell lead LaSalle over UMass 69-60 in A-10 opener
- Down 16 at half, Terps rally by Gophers
- Former Penn coach given 15-year penalty
- Villanova honors Lowry, tops St. John's
- No. 16 PSU blows lead but tops Rutgers
- Johnson has 25 and 11, Florida downs LSU
Jack Clark's two free throws for a 3-point lead with 1:39 remaining started a stretch in which LaSalle scored its last 16 points at the foul line. Powell made 8 of 10 in the final minute and Phiri made the last six, cashing in on a technical foul with 12 seconds left. LaSalle, which was 2 for 3 from the line in the first 38 minutes, finished 18 of 21. UMass made 15 of 19 free throws.
The Minutemen led 29-27 at halftime and were up 51-49 with 3:36 remaining before a 3-pointer by David Beatty put the Explorers up for good, 52-51 with 3:12 to go.
Updated January 5, 2019