Webster scores 22 as W. Illinois wins Summit opener 78-60.
- UK favorite in SEC for ninth year in row
- Memphis, Houston share top spot in AAC
- Calhoun denies sex discrimination claims
- Hall picked to win Big East over 'Nova
- Duke picked to win ACC; Nwora voted POY
MACOMB, Ill. (AP) Kobe Webster scored 22 points with four assists, leading five players into double-digit scoring and Western Illinois won its Summit League opener, toppling Denver 78-60 on Sunday.
Ade Murkey led the Pioneers (5-11, 0-2) with 13 points, Ronnie Harrell, Jr. added 10 with nine rebounds. Denver has lost three straight.
After some early back-and-forth had Denver ahead 22-20 after a David Nzekwesi layup, Duff scored two from the foul line to tie, and Webster followed with a layup off a turnover for a 24-21 Western Illinois lead.
The Leathernecks never trailed again and led by as many as 23, outscoring the Pioneers 46-24 in the paint and adding 20 points off 12 Denver turnovers.
Updated December 30, 2018