Gardner's late scoring binge sends E. Carolina past UGRTV
- Ga. Tech athletics off on Election Day
- NCAA sets new date for draft entrants
- Gamecocks' Martin to lead race committee
- UGa AD McGarity given 1-year extension
- Ex-NBA G Miller leaving Memphis staff
GREENVILLE, N.C. (AP) Jayden Gardner scored 15 points with six rebounds and East Carolina held off a late push to beat UT-Rio Grande Valley 69-64 on Monday night.
Gardner's layup with 5:13 remaining gave the Pirates (3-2) a 57-46 advantage. With 37 seconds left, Solomon Hainna made a layup and brought UTRGV to within 63-59, but Gardner responded with 3-point play and Isaac Fleming made 3 of 4 foul shots in the final 20 seconds to seal it. Gardner scored 11 points in the last 6 1/2 minutes.
Seth Leday finished with 12 points and Tyler Foster 11 for ECU.
East Carolina made half its 46 shots and owned a 45-32 rebounding edge. UTRGV (3-2) shot 27.9 percent (19 of 68) from the field.
Updated November 19, 2018