No. 16 Virginia Tech tops Ball State 73-64
- Top of poll steady; Baylor-Kansas looms
- Dotson scores 29 as No. 3 Kansas rolls
- Late 3 caps Irish's big rally past UNC
- Xavier ends on 8-0 run to top St. John's
- UConn's Akok done after Achilles tear
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) - Nickeil Alexander-Walker scored 21 points as No. 16 Virginia Tech opened the Charleston Classic with a 73-64 victory over Ball State.
The Hokies (2-0) watched a 16-point lead slip to 49-44 midway through the second half before going on a 14-4 run to take control.
Virginia Tech will play the winner of the next game, Alabama vs. Northeastern, in Friday's semifinals.
Tayler Persons led Ball State (1-2) with 21 points. The Cardinals will play the Alabama-Northeastern loser on Friday.
Updated November 15, 2018